Saturday, May 10, 2008

My first Triathlon







Yes I actually entered a triathlon (what was I thinking?!?!) and I finished it. I didn't set any records or anything, but I did better than I thought. I never stopped during the 11.1 mile bike ride and I never stopped jogging during the 2 mile run. (my jog was barely over a walk, but hey it's still jogging right?) The swim was definitely the hardest thing for me. The 300 meter swim was the first event and to put it nicely I looked like a drowning monkey. It is a lot harder to swim in open water than it is in a pool. Plus never sticking my head in the water made it a little more difficult to swim fast. I am just not a swimmer. I don't have good form and I hate getting water in my ears. At least I wasn't the last one from my heat out of the lake.

Never in my life did I ever think I would enter a triathlon. Two months ago some of my friends said that they had entered and they convinced me to sign up. I figured that if I signed up I would motivated to workout. I haven't really exercised in about 4 years and 2 months isn't really enough time to train for a triathlon. As you can see from the pictures I'm not in triathlon shape, but it did get me exercising again and I'm grateful for that.

I was so completely out of my comfort zone. I never thought I would be caught dead in spandex let alone wearing them for all the world to see. Well I am glad I did it and I am glad it is over. For the last 2 months I felt like I had a test coming up that I hadn't studied enough for.

I'm so grateful for my family, Mark and the girls got up early to go with me. I loved to see them cheering me on. It really made a difference knowing they were there. I know it wasn't easy for them standing around waiting for me to finish, but I really appreciate their support. I'm also really grateful for my friends, Mandi, Erika and Megan they helped calm my pre-race jitters and I never would have done it if they hadn't done it with me.

6 comments:

Michelle said...

Congratulations!! What an accomplishment!

Unknown said...

i'm proud of you ash. I don't I could have done it.

Michelle G. said...

Wow. Good job Ashley! I looked at your blog a couple of days ago but didn't have time to comment, and ever since that picture of you and some of the other ladies from our ward has been stuck in my head haha! You guys are great examples to the rest of us couch potatoes :-) Someday I want to be like you...

ashley kelepolo said...

Good Job Ash. That is so hard! I want to do that sometime! I'm way nervous though about the swimming, more about wearing the swimsuit!

{ Lana Cox } said...

You're awesome Ashley. And you look HOT in spandex!!! I don't know if I'll ever do a triathlon, but hey if you need someone to go get a massage with you afterwards again...I'm that lady :)

Angie said...

Ash, that is awesome! Way to go! I'm glad you guys are enjoying Texas. Now that we've moved to Utah you'll have to come visit us when you come see your family here! Your little girls are so cute!