Monday, May 17, 2010

What a ride!

On May 1st I woke on at 4:00 in the morning because Audrey was crying. When I got up I thought my water had broken. I wasn't sure since with both girls my water was broken at the hospital. I tried to go back to sleep, but since I was only 32 and 5 days I was a little worried. So what did I do. I got up, finished the laundry and did the dishes.

Mark woke up a little before 6 because he had a triathlon in Pima. When I told him what happened he wanted me to call the doctor, but I said I didn't want to be that girl- the one who thinks her water breaks, but it didn't really.

So we got the girls ready and went down to Pima for the triathlon. (More about that to come)

After the triathlon Hailey had play practice and pictures for gymnastics. We had a busy day planned. I dropped Hailey off at practice 9:00 and planned on picking her up at 10:15 to get her ready for pictures. When I got home Mark told me I needed to call the doctor before I did anything else.

I talked to Dr. Tran and he wanted me to go to the hospital to check if my water broke. Well it ended up that my water hadn't broken, but while I was there on the monitor I was having contractions every 2-3 minutes. After an hour our so the nurse checked me and I was dilated 3 centimeters and 80% effaced. The Doctor came in and checked me also and agreed with the nurse so they gave me terbutaline and waited to see if they slowed down. After an hour the contractions were still 2 minutes apart and they checked me again and felt that I was more than 80% effaced and I needed to be flown to Tucson. They gave me Magnesium to relax my uterus, but really it just made me feel hot and sick.

The helicopter ride was probably the worst experience of my life. I was feeling sick from the Mag, claustrophobic from the tiny helicopter and I am afraid of heights. To top it off, it was a windy, windy day. Needless to say, I threw up while we were flying and I thought we were all going to die. During the 40 minute flight my contractions were every 1-2 minutes and lasting 60-90 seconds.

The doctors told me I would be in the hospital until I was 36 weeks which is on May 25th, but since they were able to mostly stop the contractions and I hadn't dilated in the 10 days I was there they let me come home on Tuesday May 11th. I was so glad to come home. I missed my family and I wasn't sleeping well in the hospital.

Now I'm on bed rest at home, I only have one more week and I couldn't be more excited. I feel fine so it's hard to sit around all day and let everyone else do everything. I have to say though, Mark's done more dishes in the last week then he probably had in the last 2 months:)

I'm not very good at this bed rest thing. I know I should be down more than I am. Hailey's constantly reminding me to get back in bed.

Oh I have to say that I couldn't have gotten through that week and a half in the hospital without the help of family. My mom and Dad drove down from Utah the first Sunday I was in the hospital. My mom stayed for a week and took care of the girls. She got Hailey ready for her gymnastic's performance and her play. She drove Hailey to all her practices and dress rehearsals. It was the busiest week of the year for us and I am so thankful she was here to help. Mark's family has also been a huge help- watching the girls and bringing dinner even now that I'm home.

Mark brought the girls to visit on Mother's Day. I look horrible from lack of sleep and make-up

1 comment:

Holly said...

Glad you're home now! I hope the rest of the pregnancy is less eventful, preterm labor is not a fun surprise.

We're excited to meet little Spencer...not too soon of course.